Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 84

Today little C was eating her breakfast and we were listening to Mindy Gledhill.   On one song on her album she is singing to her little boy and she sings, “Don’t turn around and grow up way too fast.”  Little C asks what it means to grow up way too fast.  I tell her that childhood is fleeting, then I try to explain what fleeting means, and finally I tell her that right now her and I stick together, but that one day she will stick together with her husband and her own babies and so we just need to enjoy this time together.

Her eyes filled with tears as she regarded me.  I kid you not, it was like having a conversation with an old soul.  She said, “Mom, don’t worry.  Even when I get too old to stick together with you, I will always be close to you.”  It was touching and like time stopped for a minute. 

This is it.  No more babies.  No more little friends with me all day.  This time is so precious and even when I can’t play hide and seek one more time or play Billy Goats’ Gruff with a T-Rex and Thomas the Trains for what seems like eternity, I still know this is a blink of an eye.   She is my little friend and I am selfish.  She is mine for the next couple of years.   It is true we are really close and I am grateful for this time with her.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful.

    C radiates 'old soul.' She is amazing.

    I got my daughter to really smile at me today. It felt like golden glitter and rainbow waterfalls. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete