Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day 174

Last week I was MIA.  I was sick the first part of the week and then some stressful things happened mid to end of the week.  Luckily, on Friday I was able to go to BYU for the last day of woman's conference.  Amazingly, it was my first time.  I don't do things alone.  Ok, I go to the bathroom alone and I go to the temple alone, but other than that...

I drove up with the lovely Miss M and M2 and the three went our separate ways once on campus.  I was super nervous.  My Angora phobia set in as thousands of woman crammed into the Wilkinson center.  There was some shoving (I know I was shocked) and I thought to myself, "This isn't what this is about."  I didn't even attempt to join the mad throng, but went to the bookstore and settled myself in the one quiet corner and picked up the biography of the Queen Mother in honor of the royal wedding and the King's Speech.  Then I picked out the memoir by Louise Erdrich and had a lovely few minutes.  I then picked myself up by the bootstraps and did things MY WAY.  I stopped at a cart and grabbed a panini sans cheese and then got to my second class early and sat in line eating my sandwich and reading.  I stayed in the same building the next two classes and avoided all the hassle.  One of the classes  was taught by two of my favorite bloggers and I furiously took notes for the next couple of hours.

I felt prompted to go to the conference this year and I'm glad I did.  I needed some of what I learned to help me over a couple of hard tasks that are demanding attention, focus, and all my faith right now.  I don't know if I'm going to say I could do that every year.  Honestly, I was exhausted by the time we got home.  We were gone for 12 hours and I was quite ready to get back to real life.  The Y is a beautiful campus and the cloud cover over the mountains was breathtaking.  I just wish that all of the throngs of women realized that getting into a class isn't worth pushing into a woman in a wheelchair.  That being said, I made friends with some delightful women wherever I went throughout my day and I was so proud of myself for experiencing it on my own.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering why I didn't see any blogs from you this week. I hope everything's okay with you!

    ReplyDelete